Saturday, July 19, 2008

"Camping" Trip....sort of...

Well hello friends and family! I am pleased to report that I am alive and still kickin' after my camping trip this weekend. For those of you who don't know, I was given the privilege of going on a camping trip with 150 or so 5 year olds (without parents) this weekend! Yikes! I really was not sure what to expect heading into the weekend. I had visions of kids getting lost in the woods or up all night long crying for their Mom! Well, thank goodness neither of those situations happened and we had a good time. Before I get too far into this, it might be best if I define what camping turned out to be in this case. What do you think of when you think of camping? I think of tents, campfire, cooking over the fire, peeing behind a tree/bush, hiding your trash from bears, etc. Right? Well....this was...close? Ok, no it wasn't close at all. We went to a place on the edge of a lake/river area. Just wait for the next part. How was our campsite you might ask? Well, our "campsite" was a very nice hotel with a view of the lake. This "campsite" came complete with a small water park, an onsen (which is a positive in Japan), and a field that was the perfect size for a rousing game of duck, duck, goose and of course hanabi! What is hanabi you ask? Well, fireworks of course! What could be scarier than 150 5 year olds with sparklers?!?!

So we left for the "campground" yesterday, Friday, and arrived a little after lunch time. We quickly headed to the pool and had a blast! I think I had just as much fun as the kids did! The water was definitely on the cold side, but that didn't stop me from grabbing the kids and carrying them under the waterfall with me! I think I learned that from my Dad! Not that he would ever do anything like that! ha ha! So after the pool time we headed to the tents (aka the rooms) to get settled in. I wasn't quite sure of what type of room I was getting. Basically, I had heard that past years I would get something like a closet or small room to take a short nap. I had been told that I had my own room though, so I got my key and headed up. I open the door and what do I find? A closet. Ha Ha Just kidding! I find that they had reserved a three person room, with a lake view just for me. The best part? I had my own bathroom and shower room! So, needless to say the weekend is definitely looking up at this point! We then headed down for game time down in a big tatami room. It had started to rain so we had to stay inside. Unfortunately, during game time I think the film crew may have gotten me on camera being quite goofy with the kids. I will just claim that the camera had a glitch...its not really me! ha ha! So then we headed to dinner and it was scrumptious! Curry and rice, karoge's (fried pork or chicken) and a salad. It stopped raining so we then headed out for fireworks! Before this I played a rousing game of duck, duck goose (which I tought them in class last year). I was so proud because they started the game on their own! We then lit the sparklers and they of course had a ball with that! They thought I was so cool because I was making different shapes with my sparklers! I finally found the age group that I could go on a comedy tour for! ha ha! Anyway, we headed inside for bath time and bed time. Of course I got pictures of bedtime and those are on my picture page! Later we had a teachers party in the home room and then I was asleep by 12! I couldn't believe it. Granted, I had to be up early (5:15) this morning so it was a good thing!

This morning, Saturday, we woke up and got around and went outside to blow bubbles! I never thought I would say that I got up that early to go blow bubbles, but I can now! After breakfast, we then had a magic show by the schools owner and a short movie (Hello Kitty) for the kids. As we were starting this closing ceremony time, they asked me to make a speech...in Japanese and English. I was thinking to myself..."Self...you're in trouble!" I know a bit of Japanese, but I'm not very good at speaking in full sentences, and especially not on the spot! They helped out with a few words and I worked it out! Phew! Anyway, that was the "camping" experience! I had fun and I know the kids did too! I will post the pictures that I got on my picture page. I didn't take as many as I would have liked do to being busy, but I got a few. I hope you enjoy!

Sayonara for now!
Elaina

No comments: